1. Write out your goals and desires. In my classes we learned that goals should be SMART: Specific, Measurable, Action-based, Realistic and Time-oriented. We all have visions of what our wellness and health should be so by starting there we can begin the journey.
2. Ask what, when and how. Make a list of the hurdles that keep getting in your way of living a life of wellness. Then determine which ones are true obstacles – things that you need to work around or find solutions to along with the dreaded excuses. Anything that feels like a pit fall from previous attempts.
3. Have a plan. Most major tasks and/or projects have a plan in place so this should be no different. Make a plan for accomplishing your goals, as well as solutions for overcoming the hurdles. Be flexible, kind and compassionate while also having fun and making it active. Lastly, be specific about your goals and how you want to make them happen.
4. Start a journal. Great way to keep your goals, desires, barriers, obstacles, excuses, solutions and plan all together but remember this is your journal and should reflect you. Set it up so it’s easy to use so that you will use it and can find everything you may need fairly quickly. Lastly, include space to just let your thoughts flow no matter if it’s venting, rejoicing, celebrating or just writing your feelings. You’ll be amazed at how freeing a journal is and how much growth can be obtained but just writing it down.
5. Begin your journey where you’re standing now. Where are you right now, this moment, on your journey? Accept where you are and where you need to be and begin the steps necessary to bridge that gap. If, however, you find that old issues keep popping up, preventing you from reaching your goals, you may need to seek counseling. Sometimes the only way to move forward is to first go backward if needed but there is no time like the present.
6. Take one step at a time. What happens when a builder forgets an important step in building a house? Or a chef leaves out an important ingredient in a recipe? Doesn’t work so well, does it? It’s the same thing with your life. You must take certain steps in order to reach a place of well-being—and remember to make it fit your lifestyle. This is all about you..
7. Learn from your setbacks. Making mistakes and experiencing failure is all a part of being human and living. Rather than getting down on yourself, take that setback and turn it into something positive – something you can use to reach your goals. Sometimes life is indeed two steps forward, one step back!
8. Spend some time “cleaning house.” This is intended to be both literal and figurative. When our homes are a cluttered mess, it’s impossible to function well. Ditto for our schedules. Create a list of your activities and decide which ones aren’t contributing to your overall purpose in life. De-clutter the schedule and concentrate on those activities that bring meaning to your life, and ultimately to others that matter to you!
9. Stop comparing yourself to others. We’re bombarded by images of “perfect” bodies every day. It’s easy to get caught up in all of it and feel as though we’ll never measure up but reality is we are unique and there is no one else like ourselves so it’s time to embrace- love ourselves, enjoy what we have to offer and give because it’s enough. Also remind your self that what is seen on televisions, magazines etc., at due to great lighting, photo shopping, professionals such as mark up artist, surgeons etc. Not all of it is real Stop comparing yourself to a fantasy and just be the best you that you can be because in the end– that’s all that truly matters!
10. Reward yourself. It’s OK to feel good about yourself! And it’s OK, and beneficial, to reward yourself for your accomplishments, no matter how small they may seem. A date at the movies, a new outfit, a bubble bath and if it has to be food then may be a meal at your favorite restaurant… whatever you don’t normally take the time to do, as long as it contributes to your well-being, is an awesome reward!
You deserve to shine to the world who you are because you are amazing right now and right here… be healthy and well…
5 Elements Coach
5 Elements Coaching LLC © 2015-2020 All Rights Reserved.
Professional Arts Building
5 Public Square
Hagerstown, MD 21740
New Office Phone Number: